Clarice Cliff Ceramics

In the 1920s the Stoke-on-Trent company of A.J.Wilkinson Limited expanded to include many local potteries including Newport Pottery. It was here in 1927 that Clarice Cliff (1899-1992) set up her small studio experimenting with bold designs and colour which she called 'Bizarre Ware'. By 1931 Clarice Cliff had a workforce of up to a 1000 at the Newport Pottery implementing her designs which had become so popular. During the 1930s prominent artists were commissioned, to produce designs alongside Clarice Cliff, including Laura Knight (1877-1970) and Frank Brangwyn (1867-1956).

Website by MMS